Saturday, March 23, 2013

Review: Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices #3) by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Princess (Infernal Devices #3)

Author: Cassandra Clare
Release Date: March 19, 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Hardcover: 577 pages
Summary:

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING
A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.


Review:
This is the final, final installment of the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. And far by the best I have read in this series.

Though, within the hardcover's cover, there is the family tree of the Carstairs, Herondales, and Lightwoods, though it is advised NOT to look at it (unless you want to be spoiled!) for it shows the love triangle and how it's resolved. Though, I admit, I did look at it and I didn't understand it until AFTER I finished the book.
Though the family tree is only available to the Hardcover's Collector's Edition.

Reading Clockwork Princess was.... phenomenal  I was both glad that we get to know more about Tessa and her heritage, but the strain between her love for Jem and Will. But it's also sad because it's the last book of the Infernal Devices and we wont see any more any of the characters (or what's left of them) unless you would re-read the whole trilogy.


Clare has done an amazing job for the final installment of the Infernal Devices, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and read it. And I'm so glad that I did. Of course, there are sad moments, happy moments, WTF moments, amazing and romantic moments, but most of all, shocking I-can't-believe-this-happened!!! moments.

Some say (from other reviews that I have read) that they had cried while reading this book. Me, I didn't so much as cry, but I felt the tears coming and my heart broke and swelled, but the waterworks didn't flow.
But Clockwork Princess is a great emotional journey.

This book has everything- adventure, love, heartbreak, romance, drama, suspense, a bit of humor bits, danger, tension, etc.

The love triangle between Tessa, Will and Jem are....heartbreaking. It's hard to figure out who Tessa is going to be with--even though she is engaged to Jem. Despite that, Tessa and Will still have feelings for each other even though Tessa is devoted to Jem. So. Much. Heartbreak! Especially what happens to Jem....and Will. Oh Jem. Poor Well. Heartbroken Tessa. Mostly it revolves around Jem and Tessa in this book.

Throughout the book, there are some past references to Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince in Clockwork Princess. Also, there are moments where the characters would reflect on their past in the previous two books that makes you go "Oh yeah, I remember that!" because then, everything comes together by the end of the book.

Everything from the unsolved answers from Clockwork Angel and Clockwork Prince is resolved in Clockwork Princess. And I'm glad for that.


When I finished Clockwork Princess, I held the book in my hands and stared at the cover and the thing that came out of my mouth was "That's it?!" "I want more!" "This can't end like this!!!"

I loved this book, and it's too hard to put into words of what else goes on in this book because I DO NOT want to spoil it for readers who have not read it, or who is going to read it!
But I will say this: When you find out what Tessa is, you'll go "Oh my god, what?!" and it's the same with happens with Jem twice because you could never thought of it happening.




Conclusion:
Dear Clockwork Princess,
Must you really have to end?
I don't want you to and so does the other wonderful readers.
You will be missed: Tessa, Will, Jem, Charolette, Sophia, Magnus, Henry, Cecily, Gideon, the Silent Brothers, everyone.
Sadly, there will be no more stories of these wonderful characters, but at least Clare is working on the final book of the Mortal Instruments, City of Heavenly Fire, but then...she is working on a new series The Dark Artifices and The Codex Chronicles in the future.
With everything happening in the story till the very end, Clockwork Princess is the best work I have read in her series.

5/5 for Clockwork Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment