Monday, March 4, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


The Fault in Our Stars

Author: John Green
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Hardcover: 313 pages
Summary:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
INSIGHTFUL, BOLD, IRREVERENT, and RAW, The Fault In Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heart-breaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.


Review:
 I might as well have been the last reader on Earth to read thisbut I'm glad that I did now than later. 
 John Green's books are amazing! Another work that I have read from this amazing author was Looking For Alaska., and it was very good.
This book had so many good things that I forced to read this book by a great friend of mine. And since I did, I feel as if I should read everything he written.
The Fault In Our Stars  follows sixteen year old Hazel Grace, a young girl with cancer. Her life is far from perfect. She attends Cancer Kid Support Group where she meets the handsome seventeen year old Augustus Waters.

I can go on and on about how great this book is (with spoilers!) but I'll just touch up on a few important (and amazing) details of what I liked or else this review would be terribly long.
Hazel and Augustus were amazing characters. These are the type of characters that will stay with you to remember. These characters are not too complex, nor are they 2-D cardboard cut outs- they were far from that. They are just simple, normal, beautiful teenagers. They both have major flaws physically (and internally) but that's what makes them real, because of what they have to deal with in their young lives that no other teenager (fiction-wise) have to deal with.  The way that Green portrays these characters personalities, thoughts, humor, relationships, make them seem like any other typical teen (though in a way, they aren't).

The one thing that only stood out to me is how much it affected me. Now, with the various reviews that I have read, many of them confessed that they had cried by the time they had closed the book. On the other hand, I did not cry, but i  will say that i teared up and was very upset because of what happened, how close we (as readers, including myself) connect with the characters. Yes, this book is sad, but not is it sad sad but a happy sad, too.  A happy sad because of the sweet, good things that happens between the characters (Hazel and Augustus).

By the time I finished this book, I stared at it and was deep in thought. I realized that there are people who are dealing with worse things in their lives than I am. I also realize that I should be grateful to have that special someone and people in my life because once they are gone... we dwell on the things that were good about them than more on the bad.
"Funerals are only for the living"- Hazel Grace.

There are some, possibly, strong topics about family, death, and cancer in this book that I feel should be more generally discussed in book clubs, classes, etc. While I read this book, I did learn about certain cancers that I had never heard of before. This book is mostly directed to young adults AND adults, heck, EVERYONE of all ages (but no younger than 13).

Conclusion:
If you enjoyed the previous of John Green (which ever one you read), then The Fault in Our Stars is a high recommended book that no one- NO ONE-  should pass up.
I'm glad to have read this book, and while I'm not much of a re-reader, I would reread this book because this has so much meaning, themes, and symbolism that I never thought of (after cheating by reading the FAQ, Q &A's on John Green's website and int he back of the book int he Collector's Edition after the intial end of the book).
The Fault in Our Stars doesn't deserve a 5/5. It deserves a 100/5 because that's how amazing this book is.
So, sadly, this does deserve a 5/5.
I will definetly look out for more books by John Green. 


No comments:

Post a Comment