Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Empty by K.M. Walton


Empty
Author: K.M. Walton
Release Date: January 1, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Summary:
Dell is used to disappointment. Ever since her dad left, it's been one let down after another. but no one-not even her best friend-understands all the pain she's going through. So Dell hides behind self-deprecating jokes and forced smiles. Then one person she trusts betrays her. Dell is beyond devastated. without anyone to turn to for comfort, her depression and self-loathing spin out of control. But just how far will she go to make all of heartbreak and the name-calling stop?

Review:
Sometimes you just want to disappear.
Life is bleak, pointless, dark and hopeless. This is how Adele “Dell”, the main character in K.M. Walton’s Empty feels. This is how the reader feels at the end of the book (and I did too). 286 pounds, Dell has only one friend who may or may not care for her. Her father deserted Dell, her mom, and her baby sister Meggie for another woman and became an absent father who tells Dell to ‘get over her grief and be happy for him’. Dell’s mom works two jobs until she gets fired from one of them for stealing prescription drugs. She takes many pills everyday just to get through the day and take care of Meggie and Dell.
Softball is Dell’s favorite sport, but that soon ends when she is cut from the team because of her weight. The kids at school makes fun of Dell and wants her to perform a Sumo wrestler moo-like act for their entertainment, and she happily obliges through forced smiles, and ends up hating herself later. Whatever makes them happy.
Not once do Dell’s best friend, Cara, does anything about it.
When invited to a party, Dell reluctantly goes (by the will and power and whining of Cara), but that soon changes when Brandon, the hottest and popular guy in school, takes her upstairs, away from the party, both of them drunk, and rapes Dell.
Now there’s a rumor going around school that Dell raped Brandon when that’s completely not the case.
Dell finally gets a small break when she is accompanied into the school’s talent show to show off her singing skills (again, by Cara). In the end, she gets humiliated by Brandon and Chase who wants her to do the sumo wrestler moo-thing again. And again, she does.

Dell’s life spins spiral downward on from there, as her life gets darker and darker until she can’t take it anymore.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this book, but I will have to say that this book is not as much as disappointing as it is depressing. Throughout the book, I kept hoping that Dell will get some help.
Not once did she.
I felt for Dell, I really did. I get where she is coming from on a personal level. I don’t get why she never had the solution to lose he weight, boost up her self-esteem, all to make herself happy. That’s what I thought would have happened. There is a bunch of bullying within this book, to the point where I had to take a small break just to think. I will admit a few times that I did tear up and almost cried.
A problem I had with this book is that 1) Dell never confessed her rape by Brandon. She expected someone to speak for her, or when she almost had the chance to, she never spoke up. The guidance counselor came to Dell one day, who was there for her because of a student was concerned about Dell. But she declined his help! Why, Dell, why? That was a great opportunity for her!
Cara was another problem that I had. I never thought of her as Dell’s friend because of the way she treated Dell. This Is  because all she (Cara) wanted to do was to be with the popular crowd, leaving Dell behind, not inviting her into conversation and parties, then will get mad at Dell for something she did or said. Um, totally fake much, Cara??? Because of this fakeness and I know that Dell knows that she was being that way. I just wished that she would have stood up to Cara….but she never did.
The main comment themes I picked up in this book are:
Rape
Bullying
Suicide
Peer pressure/abuse
Drugs
Depression
Aggression.

Conclusion:
I will not lie; this book may not suit many people because of what happens within this book. In fact, many people will feel that this book is offensive and insensitive. I, on the other hand, loved the book. Despite what happens in this book, I like this book because of the connection I had with Adele.
But I will say this:
                If you’re going through bullying, depression, suicidal thoughts, or had been raped- tell somebody. Don’t hold it in. it may not feel that no one is there for you or that no one care about you- but there is. I know life sucks. It’s dark, evil, hurtful, and mean, but things will get worse before they get better. Trust me. Instead of thinking about the bad things, think about the good things that you cherish, the goof things that had happen, and the great things that will happen. There is someone who will listen. Please DO NOT hide it from anyone. No one can help you if you do not tell them what is wrong. If there’s an opportunity to vent to that person about that happened to you, and you feel that you’re going to explode from holding in so much inside, you can tell them as long as you trust them and they trust you (and won’t go behind your back and stab it).
There are many things I’ve learned within my life that I would have told tell (like I had mentioned above). My heart goes to Dell, as well as many other people who had experienced the same thing, or had experience the same thing as Dell did.
K.M. Walton’s Empty is amazing. I would recommend this book, but only if you aren’t too disturbed about what goes within his book and can handle it. I am glad to have purchased this book and read it.
Empty by K.M. Walton deserves a 4.7/5

No comments:

Post a Comment