Monday, January 7, 2013

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) Review


 City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments) Review



















Author: Cassandra Clare
Reading level: Ages 14 and up
Paperback: 512 pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books; Reprint edition (February 19, 2008)
Language: English
Series Status: Trilogy

Snyposis from Amazon:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Clary knows she should call the police, but it's hard to explain a murder when the body disappears into thin air and the murderers are invisible to everyone but Clary.

Equally startled by her ability to see them, the murderers explain themselves as Shadowhunters: a secret tribe of warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. Within twenty-four hours, Clary's mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a grotesque demon.

But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....
Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare’s ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.


Review:

City of Bones revolves around the relationship of teenage Clary and Jace, her best friend Simon, and Shadowhunters to help Clary when her mother goes into a magically enduced coma. This story is in the 3rd person view of Clary, which I thought was a little bit of a breather because most YA novels are in 1st person.

What I liked about City of Bones:
* The world-building, settings, and characters of the Shadowhunters (Nephilim), Downworlders, who are mostly the creatures of mainly humans, werewolves,, fairies, and warlocks the Clave, the Conclave, the magical uses of Runes

* The characers: 
Clary: the protagonist. The One-Who-Always-Thinks-She's-Shy-And-Not-Beautifl-Enough-Compared-To-Her-Mother-And-Other-Girls-She-Comes-Across. Blah. She's a bit niave, air-headed, and does stupid stuff sometimes-but I think of her as a strong young girl--sometimes. Sometimes her stupidity wants me to go and reach through the book and shake her, but overall, she learns through her mistakes, she learns a lot of things, things that are both twisting and useful. As the story goes on, she is becoming more developed, though I did find myself eye-rolling at her whining angst at Jace.

Jace: The Best-Shadowhunter-Ever-In-The-World Lightwood. Like every other male protagonist, he's handsome looking (with shocking gold eyes) Twilight, much? He's strong, a skilled fighter, oh and sometimes a jerk and rude to our female progatonist, Clary. Well, that's all I got to say about Jace, except that I grown to like him slowly over time as the story progresses.

Simon: The Best Friend. If Clary hadn't chose Jace over Simon, I wouldve. I mean, I love the geeky, nerdy guys. Like, Simon likes Anime (right?), in a band who continues to change their silly names, next it would be the Purple Panda Resolutions. But he seems like a nice, sweet guy. And, ever since Clary is all out with Jace, I could feel his pain and jealously--he even tried to admit he was in love with her! But Clary's all  "Nooo, I love Jace!" Blah, Clary, she dont know what she's missing. I love you Simon!

Alec: About Alec, he's...I can't find the words for him. It's just..he's awesome too. 'Nuff said, bro.

Isabelle: She is the  girl that every girl envies. She's drop-dead gorgeous  (hey, Clary said so, I'm just paraphrasing) I mean, every time Clary looks at Isabelle, Clary feels self-conscious about her. Well, anything else, she's a good Shadowhunter and a fighter, she uses a gold whip as her weapon of choice. That, and she is Alec's sister.

Magnus Bane: This guy right HERE. He's....He's...too amazing. But the thing is, why? WHY DOES THE GLITTERY, SHINY WARLOCK HAVE TO BE GAY!? I swear, if he was straight, I would be all over him in seconds--sadly, I cannot. I can only fantazise about that mentally--like the rest of the M.B. fans. Oh, and did I mention that he wears such..glittery and shiny clothes? And he's the most powerful-est Warlock in all Brooklyn?
And he has a cat named Chairman Meow. Sounds high and might and spoiled, to me.
Magnus Bane--he's just..I'm done. i'll start to fangirl over him more. Moving on!

Valentine: Hmm. Valentine. I love the bad guys. So I would love this man right here--even though he's Clary and Jace's father. So what?
Apparently, Valentine is Jace and Clary's father..and evil. Who wants to destroy all Shadowhunters for some reason, and for that, he wants to wield the first out of the Mortal Instruments: The Mortal Cup. Long story short: He's evil, and sexy (I'm such a weirdo, yes), and...just overall a baddy. I like him.

The Silent Brothers: I love these guys. Of course, as Clary describes them as creepy with their faceless face and stitched mouths--it kind of reminds me of Slenderman a bit.  But overall, they are like the Protectors in the Silent City--and just...they are just..bad-ass. If they were real, I would hang with them. The Brothers are my second favorite.

*What I also liked in City of Bones was Clary and Jace's relationship. I mean, they dont even know they are falling for each other, but there is some definite attraction--till the end, when everything spoils that they are brother and sister. Ew. Like, a total bomber.


What I didn't like in the City of Bones:
* The pacing: It was a bit slow in the beginning. I found myself skimming and flipping through the pages.
*How sometimes (as I've mentioned before) how air-headed she is or how she always turns away from Simon to be with Jace. Like, can she NOT see how devestated he looks?

Despite this, I LOVED City of Bones. From the reviews I read, they were mostly negative and all of them, I disagre with:
*Bad Writing. I think Cassandra Clare's writing is great. I think she is a good author. But you know, to each his own.
* Overly descriptions/ purple prose: Well, I thought her descriptions were spot on! I imagined everything as it came to my head as i read each word.
*How the book reminds so many readers of the Harry Potter Series. Well, for 1) I never, ever read any of the Harry Potter Series. Frank, I only saw the movies. So I wouldn't even know that comparison. Even so, so?  Either way, I enjoy this novel.
I even found myself laughing a few times throughout the book, which is a plus for me.

Sadly, I took years to read the whole series. I read the first 3 online, but then I just stopped due to a lost of interst at that time. But then, out of the blue, here i am, re-reading the first three books again. So, if you haven't read the books yet, DO SO NOW!! You wont miss out-forget the negative reviews you read. What you think about the book is your own opinion. But of course, it'll be wise to check out the books at your local library before buying them-just in case.

Did you know that the City of Bones has been made into a film adpation?!
If not, check out the CITY OF BONES TRAILER HERE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc4CiTvQ-YE&safe=active
So EXCITING!

So, in the end, this book satisfied me to the point that I read the next book in the Mortal Insturment Series: City of Ashes.
So, the overall rating for this book is a definite 4.5/5.




No comments:

Post a Comment