Thursday, January 31, 2013

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) Review


Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices) #2 Review




Author: Cassandra Clare
Reading level: Ages 14 and up
Hardcover: 498 pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books; First Edition edition (December 6, 2011)
Language: English

Summary:
True love is shrouded in secrets and lies in the #1 New York Times bestselling second book of the Infernal Devices trilogy.

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when it becomes clear that the mysterious Magister will stop at nothing to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, tortured Will and the devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal and fueled by revenge. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa is drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa answers about who she really is? As their search leads to deadly peril, Tessa learns that secrets and lies can corrupt even the purest heart.


Review:
     Sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray is not only continuing to search for her brother, she's weighing her affections for the tall, dark and hunky Will Herondale and his sickly but sweet, loving best friend, James "Jem" Carstairs.
The Shadowhunters have taken in Tessa hoping her powers will help them prevail against the demons, but the Magister has a more nefarious, and unknown, plan that somehow involves Tessa and a clockwork army of robot warriors.

 The Clave and certain members are not happy with Charlotte and Henry's management of the Institute and make a move to remove them.  The Institute is put to the test, and everyone must work together to prove to the Clave that they are worthy of running the Institute.

Tessa is a strong-willed female who stands up for everything she believes in, even though she speaks without thinking which can get her into trouble.


The Magister is in hiding and the gang is trying to figure out how to stop him along with his clockwork army. The Magister's loathing for the Shadowhunters is personal, and he will do everything he can to end them.  Will is hiding a big secret-and no one know what it is- as he struggles to fix something that happened in his early childhood.


Tessa and the Shadowhunters must battle dreadful clockwork creatures, demons, and even treachery within their own ranks before everything around them is forever altered.




My Thoughts:
Will and Tessa are great.
But Jem and Tessa. Jem. And Tessa.
Jem and Tessa are Married!
"I can offer you my life, but it is a short life; I can offer you my heart, though I have no idea how many more beats it shall sustain. But I love you enough to hope that you will not care that I am being selfish in trying to make the rest of my life-whatever it's length-happy, by spending it with you. I want to be married to you, Tessa. I want it more than i have ever wanted antthing else in my life." He looked up at her through the veil of silvery hair that fell over his eyes. "That is," he said shyly, "if you love me, too." (pg 430)
Oh, man! That was such a beautiful quote!
I couldn't keep my squeals from escaping when I read this quote. But still-Jem and Tessa!
I wonder how Will will feel about this sudden change. I hoped it didn't ruin anything!

I really do believe that Tessa and Jem (Team Jessa!) is a great couple. While there is some tension between Tessa and Will, I know all along that Will was not the best for her. Jem treats Tessa right, unlike Will, who (like Jace, obviously) pushes Tessa away and treats her like a child. Jem is caring, sweet, loyal, and respectful. I wish that we would see more of Jem in more YA literature.
But that proposal, it still gets me. I never expected that to happen so quickly!
Now, I'm not much into history and historical romance, but they are sixteen-seventeen, now was that normal in the 1800s for teenagers to get married at such a young age? Well, I guess so. The Infernal Devinces, set back 150 years before the Mortal Instrument Series, is a good historical Victorian Era YA series.

Now, while I'm squealing over Tessa and Will, let's talk about Jessamine and Nate. Jessamine and Nate. Are married. I never expected that to happen. And indeed, it was shocking. Like staring-at-the-page-jaw-dropping-shocking. And then Nate figuring out it was really Tessa as Jessamine instead of Jessamine as herself! How did he figure that out?! Had Nate been aware of Tessa's powers all along, or had he been told by the Magister or Benedict of what she could do? I'm sure it was probably mentioned in the book, but I wasn't too much paying attention.

I learned that Tessa and Nate are half-siblings? Who would have thought? I surely didn't! But then, Will loves Tessa?! Oh God! Oh man..
This is going to be such tension between the trio. How will Tessa get herself out of this stick situation if Will loves Tessa and Jem loves and even proposed  to Tessa...
Poor Will's heartbroken. Will will still have feelings for Tessa in the next and last Infernal Devices?

But the thing that I did and didn't like about this book, of course, is the love triangle with Tessa, Jem, and Will. I know that Tessa has feelings more for Jem (because she said so), but sometimes I felt that Will kept interfering. Like, he even kissed Tessa right before she told him the Big News, which turned him off. That's a good thing, right?

But that ending... that ending was such cliffhanger material. And that girl, I knew immediately knew who it was before I turned that last page. And it was indeed a shocker...

So the thing that still vexes me is that, I don't know if it had been mentioned in the book (because I skimmed past the most boring/important parts) of what Tessa really was. She's not a Downworlder, a mundane, or a Shadowhunter, but something else entirely. And it is final that Tessa is NOT half-demon shadowhunter. Hopefully, we will finally know what Tessa really is in the last book.

So much exciting new things happens in this book that I do not want to spoil it all no matter how much I want to. I'm ecstatic.


Conclusion:
Sequel of the Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince is an amazing book! I enjoyed this book as much of Clockwork Angel. This book is recommended if you enjoyed the first book of the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare. Lots of twists and turns for me, that was enough! From the twisting marriage of Jessamine and Nate, the new proposal of Tessa and Jem, and a bunch of other amazing things in Clockwork Angel. Incredible romance, action, suspense, humor, and drama! Clare's work of the Infernal Devices, I would have to say, seems much better than the Mortal Instrument Series.

Clockwork Princess, it is no doubt that I will be buying the last book of the trilogy. I mean, just look at this beautiful cover for Clockwork Princess, and we finally get to see Tessa on the cover!Cover for Clockwork Princess releasing in March 2013:


So, I will defintely be reading Clockwork Princess once it's released.
Clockwork Prince deserves a 4.8/5

No comments:

Post a Comment